Child Health Nursing, is a specialty that focuses on nursing care of normal and sick children. The Department offers Quality Education for UG/PG students. It provides student-centered teaching and learning takes place in a conducive atmosphere that helps the students to gain confidence in their Nursing knowledge and skills. The Department is supported by a team of dedicated faculty members comprising of Professors, Associate Professors, Asst. Professors, Lecturer and Tutors/Clinical Instructors.
The main aim of this course at the UG level is to prepare students to identify normal growth & development, its deviations and to respond to health care needs of infants and children and the family in a variety of settings and thereby provide comprehensive nursing care to children suffering from various diseases. Post graduation in child Health Nursing enables the candidates to gain an in-depth knowledge and expertise in the field of Paediatric Nursing. The Department encourages the students and faculty members to take part in research activities.
Our values and Aims
Advancing the science and practice of Child Health Nursing improves the health of Children, and the families, globally.
A strong Child Health Nursing educational foundation enable Nurses to conduct evidence-based practice in child health care and engage in scholarly activities, and translate knowledge in Child Health Sciences and Child Health Care to improve the Child Healthcare Delivery System.
Immunization Guidance and Counseling Unit
As part of Immunization counseling services that commenced in the month of August 2015, the Department of Child Health Nursing continue to provide the educative and counseling services on a regular basis on every Wednesdays at Paediatric Outpatient Department, MGMCRI.
The various aspects covered are.
- Importance of vaccination
- Immunization schedule
- Care of Child before & after vaccination
Breast Feeding Guidance and Counseling Unit
As part of Breast feeding counseling services that commenced in the month of August 2015, the Department of Child Health Nursing continue to provide the educative and counseling services on a regular basis on every Thursdays at Antenatal& Postnatal ward mothers (H1), MGMCRI.
The various aspects covered are.
- Importance of breast feeding
- Techniques of breast feeding
- Advantages of breast feeding
- Solutions for Common problems faced by the mothers during feeding.
The Department of Child Health Nursing has a sound infrastructure and learning resources to meet the Academic needs of the students both in theory and practical.
Class Room Facilities
The Department provides pleasant & enthusiastic environment of the students with adequate seating, lighting, ventilation and A V aids like OHP, LCD, Models, Charts, Specimen and Document Camera.
The Departmental library has latest edition of all essential Text books, Thesis, and Journal with Computer & Internet facilities.
Separate MCH Lab facility is available, and it has adequate equipments, in order to improve the clinical skills of the students, where students gain a firsthand experience before they are posted in the clinical area.
Apart from this, students also utilize the state of the Art simulation lab that is accredited by the American Heart Association for certain procedures like neonatal resuscitation, IV Cannulation etc., This laboratory provides students the opportunity to learn and practice in a realistic and risk-free environment. The simulation center is an extremely effective way to offer an exemplary, safe, fun educational experience. These experiences offer invaluable opportunities to enrich and enhance learning as well as to increase student confidence.
The students gain their clinical experience form MGMCRI. The hospital is a super specialty hospital. Students are exposed to variety of disease condition where they are able to co-relate theory with practice. . They have the privilege of handling the most sophisticated equipments especially in NICU/PICU.
CONTRIBUTIONS TO HEALTH CARE
- Participate actively in Immunization clinic, Child guidance clinic, Well baby clinic, Rehabilitation clinic, High risk baby clinic (Retinopathy of Prematurity),
- Conduct School Health Services in Government Schools by checking anthropometric measurements, performing general physical examination, conducting health education and making referrals if required.
- Organize individual/group health education programmes in the clinical area on various topics related to Child health and Mass Health Education Programmes through Role play, Lilliput, Mime, Puppet show etc., in the community settings.
- Celebrate Breast Feeding Week, Neonatal Week and Children’s Day in community and hospital.
- Organize Well Baby Contests at Anganwadis.
- Provide preventive, promotive, curative & rehabilitative services for the children in the hospital and community.
Out Reach Activities
- Pulse Polio Immunization Programme: Participate in Pulse Polio Immunization Programme and Door to door survey in Puducherry.
- Awareness Programs : Health awareness event is considered to be a fun and efficient way to reach a large number of people. Emerging health issues among children in the community is identified and awareness programs ,demonstrations etc., is regularly done.
- Commemoration of vital days viz., world breast feeding week, neonatal week is celebrated in the community.
THRUST AREAS & RESEARCH
Novel Teaching- Learning methods
- Concept Mapping
- Small group discussion
- Clinical reasoning
- Problem solving Approach
CO- Curricular highlights
- Breast Feeding Week Celebration (Aug 1st -7th )
- Children’s Day Celebration (Nov 14 th )
- Newborn Week Celebration (Nov 15th -21 st )
- Scientific Academic Programme
- Value added lectures
- Clinical Meetings
slideshow coming soon...
Thrust areas of Research
- Newborn Care
- Nutritional Disorder
- School Health
- Parental Education
- Community Paediatrics.
|Ms Sudha K S||Tutor||View Profile|
|Ms Vidhyalakshmi E||Tutor||View Profile|
|Ms Suguna K||Tutor||View Profile|
|Ms Sugapriya R||Tutor||View Profile|
|Dr Geetha C||Professor||View Profile|
|Mrs Rajeswari S||Professor||View Profile|
|Mrs Sherin Nithya S||Assistant Professor||View Profile|
|Ms Sumathy Ponnambalam||Vice Principal,HOD,Professor||View Profile|
|Ms Saranya S||Tutor||View Profile|