The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecological Nursing offers a unique combination of challenge, opportunity and aims to excel in the field of nursing education and research contributing a wide-range of care for women and children. The department provides courses for UG & PG students related to obstetrics and gynecological nursing within the framework of the curriculum plan in college of nursing and expand academic excellence through collaborative research by meeting the National & International standards. This Department priorly focuses on nursing care for women from puberty to menopause. It renders incredible opportunity to student nurses to provide services to women during pregnancy, labor and childbirth, as well as women with health issues. Along with providing routine and emergency care to mothers. We also train them to be responsible for the initial stabilization and care of the newborn immediately after birth. The department takes pride in quality teaching.
The faculty values integrity, uprightness, honesty, frankness, personal excellence, constructive self- criticism, continual self-improvement, mutual respect and have a passion to serve with high performance through corporate and clinical governance to achieve best outcomes for students.
Our values and Aims
- The aim of the OBG department is to enrich the life of women and children by offering most effective nursing education to professionals towards optimizing health of women and children in ever changing health care environment.
- To provide the best exclusive education, practice and research related to OBG Nursing.
- To deliver high quality evidence based nursing interventions which are associated with critical thinking and effective communication are vital for designing the nursing process to render patient focused service to the mother and child.
- The faculty members are establishing professionalism, knowledge and competence among students in par with the international trends in the specialized fields.
- Impart quality education to the students in the field of Obstetrics and Gynecological Nursing
- Apply innovative teaching strategies that enhance progress of the students.
- Prepare students to provide family centered comprehensive care to reproductive age group women and neonates.
- Ensure excellent academic performance and overall development of students in both clinical and theory.
- Participate actively towards promotion of independent and collaborative research.
- Facilitates faculty development through CNE, Journal Club, ITP, SAF, Orientation and refresher courses, seminar, workshop and conference.
- Encourage the faculty to present scientific papers / research papers in conference at national and international level.
- Motivate the faculty members and students to publish articles in the National and International Journals.
- Encourage the students to participate actively in curriculum and co-curriculum activities.
Reproductive Health Unit: Reproductive Health Unit focuses on the constellation of methods, techniques and services that contribute to reproductive health and well-being women and adolescents by prevention and management of reproductive health and issues. Focusing all issues, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecological nursing has taken its first step to provide adequate health care facility which will satisfy and ensure the multi-dimensional expectation of the health consumers by establishing a“Reproductive Health Unit” for the betterment of all women and adolescent girls in the society.
Objectives of Reproductive Health Unit :
To strengthen the capacities in terms of knowledge enhancement, attitude change among women to meet reproductive health needs.
- To improve the reproductive health of women by conducting screening & health awareness programs in hospital and rural areas.
- To improve the health and nutritional status of women of all ages, especially pregnant and nursing women.
- To counsel adolescents, women and families on issues pertaining to Reproductive health, menstrual irregularities, Infertility and the available treatment options.
- To create awareness towards the prevention of diseases which threaten maternal health, including STI/RTI/VD and HIV/AIDS through mass health education, screening, care and support.
- To increase contraceptive use rate and to reduce unwanted pregnancies and abortions among women in reproductive age.
- To identify the areas and conduct research in Obstetrics & Gynecological Nursing.
The Department of OBG Nursing has a good infrastructure and learning resources to meet the academic requirements of UG & PG students.
Class room facilities
A smart classroom is a traditional lecture style teaching space that has adequate technological equipment that can be used to aid and enhance instruction of a course. The class room provides aesthetic and invigorating ambience for the students to study. The lecture hall is provided with well sophisticated AV aids like OHP, LCD, models, charts, specimen and document camera. Additionally, it provides calm environment to the student with adequate seating, lighting and ventilation.
The lab is designed for students to appreciate the concepts and principles of midwifery and obstetrical nursing. It helps students to acquire knowledge and skills in rendering nursing services to normal and high risk pregnant women to Antenatal, Natal and Postnatal periods in hospital and community settings. It also helps to develop skills in managing normal and high risk neonates and participate in family welfare programmes. This laboratory provide firsthand experience in assessment of Antenatal case, Intranatal case, Postnatal case, Neonatal assessment and demonstration of nursing care and handling problems accordingly.
Students are given opportunity at all level of training to participate in the simulation lab that is accredited by the American Heart Association and students are better equipped to perform complex procedures and to improve healthcare quality and safety. To excel in advancing the knowledge and skills of tomorrow’s nurses, we utilize a variety of simulation modalities to assess core competencies, teach proper techniques and achieve and maintain proficiency in technical skills.
Role and Primary Functions of the department
The primary function of the department is to provide nursing education, nursing practice and nursing research contributing in comprehensive Maternal and Child health in all the programmes – B.Sc.(N), P.B.B.Sc.(N) and M.Sc. (N).
CONTRIBUTIONS TO HEALTH CARE
- Perform standardized nursing care as per institutional recent policies, procedures and protocol.
- Provide quality antenatal, intranatal and postnatal care to the mother and new born.
- Actively participate in out -reach activities.
- Conduct health education in the clinical area of various topics.
- Mass health education programmes conduct through role play, Lilliput, mime, puppet show to educate pregnant women
- Commemorate vital day celebration in community and hospital.
Participate actively towards promotion of Independent / Group research activity by Departmental Faculty & Students.
Thrust areas of Research:
- Menstrual Problems
- Adolescent Health
- High Risk Pregnancy
- Intranatal care
- Antenatal care
- Post natal care
- Newborn care
Out Research Activities
- Breast Cancer and Cervical Cancer Awareness Programme: The Department of OBG nursing conduct various outreach activities to create awareness on life threatening issues like breast cancer and cancer of cervix by organizing Mass health education programmes and Camps in clinical setting and community areas.
- Screening Programme: Reproductive health unit of OBG Nursing department conduct Mass screening programme to detect high risk women and provide efficient health care services to the needy women.
Innovative Teaching Methods -
- Efficient faculty and good team work
- 100% result in Academic Performance of the Students
- Sufficient Exposure to train in clinical field
- Utilization of Laboratory Facilities ( Simulation Lab & MCH Lab)
- Innovative teaching methods
- Inter departmental coordination and cooperation
- Health services through Reproductive Health Unit
- Progress in Research Activities.
- Mentor mentee system
- Exposure to Conferences, Workshops, CNE/CME
- Remedial classes for students
Novel Teaching- Learning methods: The Department of OBG follows various innovative teaching practices which go a long way in building and strengthening the department.
- Problem based teaching & learning and Student assisted teaching
- Problem Solving Approach which includes Concept mapping & Fish Bone Technique
- Small group discussion
Summative and formative evaluation methods are implemented to evaluate the students’ clinical and theory performance by,
- Objective structured clinical examination
- Differential diagnosis
- Clinical reasoning
slideshow coming soon...
CO- Curricular highlights
Vital Days Celebration: All important days are celebrated by conducting either Mass health education programme, Screening Programmes, Health Talk, Panel discussion, Role play, based on the theme for the concerned day.
- World Breast Feeding Week Celebration
- International Women’s Day Celebration
- National Safe Motherhood Day Celebration